<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14058325\x26blogName\x3dChiswickite++-+formerly+The+Croydonian\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://croydonian.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://croydonian.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d2605630255414466250', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Obligatory gloat at the fate of enthusiasts for the euro

Hidden away in a rather heartening (unless you have the surname 'Blair') YouGov poll in the 'graph is this call and response:

"Which...of the following would you judge to have been Mr Blair's greatest failures?"

"Failing to take Britain into the euro" - 6%

Granted other more popular options included the likes of the sitting, comatose and klieg-lit ducks that are immigration, crime and Iraq, but I'm struggling to wonder just what is going on in the heads of that unreconciled 6%. Meanwhile, the other 94% might find Britain in Europe's Sunset Boulevard webpage of a Parthian shot worth the click.

Labels: , ,

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Newmania said... 9:08 am

You set the bar a bit high for me with Parthian C . Some sort of metaphor about empire ?

"The power of the early Parthian empire seems to have been overestimated by some ... In 139 BC, the Parthian king Mithridates I captured ......."  



Blogger Croydonian said... 9:17 am

Said Parthians were noted for apparently riding away from the field of battle, and then turning to let fly a volley of arrows.

Opinions differ as to whether 'parting shot' is derived from 'Parthian shot'.  



Blogger Newmania said... 9:55 am

Oh I do seem to faintly recall something of the sort.

'Most writers believe that this expression is a distortion of 'Parthian shot,' although there is no firm evidence to support this etymology. ...'

You learn stuff around here  



» Post a Comment